In Life

Life’s Grand Adventure – Part One

Paris roses

Like any good story, it begins in Paris.

I remember so clearly, the feelings of gratitude I had when I visited.

Notre Dame Walking in Paris

“Today I walked to some markets only blocks away from the gorgeous Notre Dame.  I picked up croissants, fruit, chocolate, and wine. I came back to Kelsey’s place, took a short nap, and have now ventured out again for a leisurely walk along the Seine. I feel overcome with gratitude for my life and I have regained some perspective. I keep recalling special memories and adventures I experienced with my favorites. I am precisely in the moment.”

paris vendor snack walk in paris near river  paris at night

I was excited to see my friend Kelsey.  We sipped on champagne and went to two absolutely fabulous restaurants together.  We went out with some of her friends in the evening and sprawled out in the sunshine on a blanket in a charming park.

Another day I hopped on a train to take a solo day trip to Luxembourg City, Luxembourg, which was fabulous.  I explored the entire city taking photos.

I had also saved my money to go clothes shopping and I remember being really pleased with the pieces I put together.  I was very proud that going for long walks each day, doing yoga often, drinking more water, and eating low carb/sugar and high protein/veggie meals had been paying off—I was trim and more importantly, I felt so energetic and healthy.

Each night I called and texted Nick and he sent me really cute pictures of himself with our cats.  I sent back photos of my travel pusheen and a video of me whispering, “I love you.”

I was so happy.  Life was perfect.


While I was at the airport, I thought of what dinner I would make for Nick when I got home.  I wanted it to be special.  I missed him after only a few days and could not wait to see him.  On the plane ride home, I settled in, trying to get comfortable.  I felt a little queasy and the turbulence wasn’t helping.  I put my hood up on my sweatshirt and laid on the tray table.  I woke up a few hours later and the plane had leveled out.  I had a snack and some ginger ale, but I still felt really sick to my stomach. Huh.  “Please don’t get sick on the plane,” I thought.

I was glad when we touched down in DTW.  Driving home, I was hit with another wave of nausea, this time because of the strong exhaust fumes billowing from the semi-truck in front of me.  I could smell the stench so strongly, even with the windows rolled up. Huh.

I got home and immediately pulled the box down from the top shelf of the bathroom closet.  And instantly, the results were there. I was pregnant.

“Oh. My. Goodness.  This is real. This is huge. This is happening!

I looked at the test again.  Two very dark lines.  I double-checked the box.  I did a count in my head.  I was 100% pregnant.  Pregnant!

I heard the back door open downstairs; Nick was home from work.  Quickly, I shut the bathroom door and met him in the hall.

Me: “Hi!”

Nick: “Hello lovebug!  Welcome home!  I have to go to the bathroom.”

Me: “Hug, first, please!”

(While hugging)

Me: “A little longer!”

(Still hugging)

Then I took Nick’s hand and showed him the test.  The look on his face mirrored exactly how I felt.

Surprise.  Excitement.  Disbelief.  Holy Cannoli!

Me: “So weird!”

Nick: “Yeah.  Wow.”

But we were both smiling ear to ear.

“We are going to have a baby!”

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply